Devotional - Are You Hungry?

pub-3751615692135036

 


But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4

 

I was extremely hungry and my stomach was staging a massive protest. How much longer will I have to wait for my lunch to get here? I wondered. I had ordered my lunch more than an hour ago and the promised delivery was still not forthcoming. I waited and I waited, trying without much success, to continue working until it arrived. Eventually, it did and I was able to satisfy the hunger that I had been experiencing. 

 

A few hours later, starting to feel peckish again, I reached into my lunch bag for my usual afternoon snack. To my surprise, there was an assortment of snack items that I had totally forgotten about! I could have quenched the hunger I felt before my lunch arrived, but my memory had failed me.

 

That led me to wonder. How often have we gone hungry, not remembering that God has a feast awaiting us? How often do we turn a blind eye to the table God has spread for us? His word says that ‘man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God’.  It is the Word of God that truly sustains us.  Not the fleshly junk food that we so readily reach for, filled with empty calories that cannot satisfy.  We remain hungry when God has provided all the that we need for life and godliness.

 

The Word is readily available and within easy reach.  But we must be intentional. We must seek the Word and consume it until it consumes us.  We should long for it ‘as the deer pants for the water’ (Psalm 42:1). As we hunger and thirst after the Word, we will be filled (Matt 5:6). We will become like trees planted by the rivers of water (Psalm1:3). As we abide in Him, we will bear fruit because apart from Him we can do nothing. Having said all of that, I now ask, ‘Are you hungry?’


Prayer

 

Father, forgive me of the times when I neglect your word. Help me to hunger and thirst after your righteousness so that I will be filled. Amen.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

POEM - Mama Was A Wise One

Devotional - A New Lease on Life

Devotional - A Divinely Ordained Delay (Part 2)

Words of Inspiration - Gratitude Is a Must!

Devotional - Hidden Things