Devotional - $200 Worth of Silver


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. (Hebrews 12:1)

 

I needed to buy a new purse, or so I thought. You see, my current purse, a Christmas present which I loved dearly, was bursting at the seams. No matter how hard I tried, the zipper would not cooperate with me. The purse would not close, it just would not budge. I thought the zipper had gone bad and that it was time for the purse to be thrown out, creating another expense that I had not budgeted for.

But then I had a thought. I looked at the sides of the purse and could almost literally feel the strain it was under as the sides bulged from the weight of all that silver that had accumulated over time. Maybe if I took out the silver, I could get the purse to close!

So I went to work throwing out all the silver I had in it. At the end of the process, I counted out $200 worth of silver  - 20, 10, 5, and 1 dollar coins.  I could not believe my eyes. When? How? I had been walking around with this excess weight all this time without realizing it. And the story had a happy ending. After the cleaning exercise, the zipper worked with ease. No struggle, no fight. Purse closed!

Like that purse, we need to detox in the spiritual and natural on a regular basis. Get rid of the things that weigh us down:

On a spiritual level, the bad habits, unforgiveness, pride, love of material things, envy, resentment, and bitterness that we carry around in our hearts, weighing us down without us even being aware. These are things that separate us from God and prevent us from functioning effectively in the Kingdom.

In the natural, the type and quantity of food that we consume in our diets sometimes wreak havoc on our bodies and prevent them from functioning at their best. Gluttony is a real and present danger of which we must all be aware. Detox every now and then. Give your body a chance to cleanse itself and recover. Eat right, exercise, and rest.

We have to be intentional about getting rid of these weights which accumulate so easily.  Let us frequently examine ourselves honestly and truthfully. When when we do, our $200 pieces of silver will come to light. Then let us see ourselves for who we really are, acknowledge what needs to change and be willing to do whatever it takes to achieve the desired results.  We must be at our best to do our best for God. Our active participation is required. Only then can we live the life that we were created to live, a life that brings honour and glory to God.


Reflection

What are the things that weigh us down? How do we get rid of them?

 Prayer

Father, give us the courage to identify the things that weigh us down. Give us strength and discipline to take the necessary actions to get rid of them. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Comments

  1. So very true...Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent word sis , love the anology. Thank God on the physical side my body can't accuse me of gluttony :) . Indeed we must be aware of clutters in our walk with the Lord.

      Delete
  2. Amen. Thanks for reading. Hope you will apply the principle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

POEM - Mama Was A Wise One

Devotional - A New Lease on Life

Devotional - A Divinely Ordained Delay (Part 2)

Words of Inspiration - Gratitude Is a Must!

Devotional - Hidden Things