THINK ON THESE THINGS - A SENSE OF BELONGING

 

Every human has needs that must be satisfied in order for life to be meaningful and fulfilling. One such need is the need to belong. This came to mind recently as I did my customary early morning walk in my community. As I arrived at the playfield I saw familiar faces of persons I had come to know since moving into the community five years ago.  We greeted each other and chatted as we walked and that made the experience a more pleasant and memorable one. On the way home, I met other members of the community, with whom I stopped to have brief conversations.

I returned home feeling revived, energized, and with a great sense of well-being. I noticed a marked difference between this particular morning and the other mornings when I walked alone and did not have much interaction with anyone. On those mornings that I walked alone, I felt good after my exercise, but the interaction with others on this particular morning had added the element of the human touch, making it all the more special and memorable.

As I reflected, I realized that the cordial interaction with members of my community had heightened my sense of belonging. I truly felt happy and blessed to be associated with persons of like mind and felt that this was a place to which I could make a contribution in a significant way. This was totally different from the stance I had taken when I moved into the community five years prior. At that time, I hardly knew anyone, and being an introvert, I kept to myself, which I thought best at the time.

In hindsight, I am now aware that such a mindset was a negative one and had negative repercussions. Isolation is fertile ground for the trap of depression. No man is an island. We are social beings and we were made to belong to communities whether family, church, neighbours, or co-workers. 

Being a member of a community creates a sense of belonging and acceptance which is crucial to one's mental and psychological health. The social ties that accompany this feeling provide a cushion for times of stress and anxiety and help one to better cope with these issues. Having someone to turn to, share with, and from whom we can receive encouragement and support is critical to maintaining a sense of peace, joy, happiness, and fulfillment in life. It gives one a sense of purpose and meaning.

Without a sense of belonging, one feels lost and alone. Research has shown that loss of a sense of belonging leads to stress, illness, decreased well-being, and depression. One of the worst forms of punishment given to prisoners is solitary confinement. It has been proven that this leads to anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and psychosis. 

We were not made to be lone rangers. We belong to community. We need each other. 

Shalom!

Comments

  1. Well said Lona, we were not meant to be alone, we need each along life's journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true sis. A lesson that we all need to learn

      Delete
  2. We should be sociable beings, we were not created to be isolated from each other.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

POEM - Mama Was A Wise One

Devotional - A New Lease on Life

Devotional - A Divinely Ordained Delay (Part 2)

Words of Inspiration - Gratitude Is a Must!

Devotional - Hidden Things