Devotional - Stay Connected

 


Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches. He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 15:4-5


My new Bluetooth earphones provided me with a powerful reminder a few days ago. I was on a break at work and decided to watch a YouTube video on my cellphone. As I was doing so, I remembered that I needed to use the photocopier downstairs. I stepped away from my desk but forgot to take my cell phone with me. The beauty of this wireless earphone was that though I was not physically near to the cell phone, I could still listen from within a certain range. So it was not until I reached a point beyond the blue tooth range that I realized that something was wrong. The earphone speaker suddenly announced to me that I was disconnected. No sweat. I continued walking as I was confident that I could resume once I was back in range. I remained out of range for too long, however, so within a few minutes, there was another announcement.... Powering off. 

A simple but profound truth was brought to mind through this simple incident. As Christians, we must remain closely connected to God in order to be fruitful and to live the abundant life that He desires for us. That is easier said than done, though. It takes deliberate effort and intentionality. There is a myriad of things that can cause us to lose focus and so we have to make every effort to remain firmly grounded within God's range, in His presence where there is fullness of joy. (Psalm 16:11).

Once we get out of His range, we get disconnected, and if we remain disconnected for too long, we eventually lose power. This undesirable state makes us susceptible to the attacks of the enemy because we are no longer under God's covering and as a result, our lives can no longer bring Him glory as we are no longer bearing godly fruit.

It is imperative therefore that we abide in Him so that we can bear fruit. Without Him, we are unproductive and ineffective. 

How then do we abide in Him? There are many ways to abide in Him and the list below is by no means exhaustive.

Read the Word. He is the Word and so to know Him we have to get into His Word. Just as we eat physical food daily to survive, so we must take time to read the Word daily. Our survival depends on it.

Meditate on the Word. After reading, think about what you have read. Focus on it, think about it deeply, and turn it over in your mind in order to understand the message that is being communicated. And of course, seek help when you do not understand.

Apply the Word. Think about how the Word applies to your specific situation and find principles that you can apply to your life. Do not be just a hearer of the Word like the man who looks into a mirror and then forgets what he looks like (James 1: 24). Instead, be a doer of the Word and allow it to transform you by renewing your mind. (Romans 12:2)

Pray. Talk to God about what you have read and help him to give you clarity. Talk to Him about your needs and the needs of others. 

Praise and worship. Spend time with God giving Him worship and praise for who He is and what He has done. Time alone with God should not be just for making requests. It should be one of fellowship and enjoying His presence.



Reflection

How can I become more connected to God? What changes do I need to make to my routine in order to spend more time with God?


Prayer
Father, thank you that you invite us to draw closer to you and to know you in a deeper way. Help us to stay connected to you. Give us a greater desire for you and your Word. Let your Word bring transformation to our lives as we bear more fruit. In Jesus' name. Amen.





Comments

  1. Good analogy. It is so easy to lose focus so I agree with you to be intentional about our relationship with our Father. I encourage a daily awareness of His Presence within us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Even with the best intentions, it will not happen unless we put in the work.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely spot on! Refreshing reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback. God bless you abundantly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

POEM - Mama Was A Wise One

Devotional - A New Lease on Life

Devotional - A Divinely Ordained Delay (Part 2)

Words of Inspiration - Gratitude Is a Must!

Devotional - Hidden Things