A Chapter From Memorial Stones Vol. 2

 

Living The Single Life

Chapter Six

  

          

For your Maker is your husband – the Lord Almighty is His name – the Holy One of Israel is your                  Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth .

           

                                                                     (Isaiah 54:5)







Looking back at my childhood days, I can't say that I fit the traditional habit of dreaming about what my wedding day would be like. Unlike most other little girls, I have no memories of seeing in my mind’s eye the wedding ceremony, the wedding gown, the flowers, the handsome groom and the hopes of living happily ever after. Nevertheless, I still expected that one day I would be married. 

 

During my years of schooling, when many of my friends were clamouring for relationships, I was more concerned about getting an education. I guess I was a late bloomer. My eyes were focused on that goal and I would not be distracted. I wanted to build a solid foundation before embarking on a relationship which would lead to marriage. I valued my independence and as such did everything that I could to  ensure that I put in the groundwork which was necessary for that dream to become a reality.

 

As a Christian, I wanted to follow the principles of the Bible, as well as the example set by my parents who were married and living with us children in the same house. I realized from early, that that sort of    family structure was not the norm for everyone, but I wanted no less for myself and my future children. Indeed, our family structure was a rarity, given the fact that statistics have indicated that over 80% of children born in Jamaica were born out of wedlock, the highest in the world, and 80% of households were headed by women.

 

I started praying about marriage when I was about twenty years old. Even though I knew I was not yet ready for a relationship, I thought it prudent to submit the matter to God and allow Him to lead me in what I realised was, next to becoming a follower of Christ, the most important decision one could ever make in life (in my humble opinion). A few years ago, I asked the Lord why, after so many years of praying I am still not married. He reminded me that if I had gone ahead and done things my way without asking for His guidance, I could very well have been married but would not have been happy or maybe would have even been divorced. Looking back now, I realized that even when I thought I was ready for marriage, I was deceiving myself. I was far from ready. There was so much that I didn’t know and so much that I needed to learn. I still had much to learn about   myself, my purpose, God’s plan for marriage and about life in general before considering sharing my life with someone else. 

 

In seeking to calm the fears of singles who express the desire for marriage, persons often twin the verses which say that when we delight ourselves in the Lord, He gives us the desires of our heart (Psalm 37:4) and no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11);  meaning that God will give us marriage if we desire it and not withhold it from us. While that is true in one sense, in another, it is not. Yes, God sees our desire for marriage but he often withholds it for a season because He sees that we are not yet mature enough to handle it. If, in some cases, He were to give it to us at the particular time, it would destroy us. Timing is everything. A good thing at the wrong time can be just as destructive as a bad thing. God’s withholding of marriage is in this sense, a good thing for us because in His wisdom He is preventing us from biting off more than we can chew. He is saving us from ourselves. He is sovereign and He sees the beginning from the end and so even when we do not understand we can trust Him because He has our best interest at heart and He causes all things to work together for our good (Romans 8:28).

 

Throughout my life I had a notion in my head that I would be married in my 20’s and certainly by the age of 29. This was born out of the fact that both of my sisters got married in their 20’s. I assumed that the same thing would happen for me, so I gave myself until age 29 to get married and not a day later. Little did I know that my plan was not God’s plan. Year 29 has long come and gone and I am still living my life as a single woman.

 

After completing my studies at university, I felt that it was time to   enter a relationship. I thought I was ready as I had accomplished most of my educational goals and was now gainfully employed. I believed that I had laid a strong enough foundation on which to build the rest of my life.  I started to pray more earnestly, and because I wanted a     relationship so badly, I told God that I was willing to give it a try, even if it did not work out. And yes, they did come, but they did not work out. I now realize that I sabotaged myself by uttering the words ‘even

if it did not work out’. Death and life are in the power of the tongue and those who love it will eat its fruit (Proverbs 18:21).  I spoke death of my future relationships and ate the fruits thereof. As the Word also declares in Mark 11:23, you will have what you say.  Words have     creative power so we must be careful of what we say. God sets the  example for us back in Genesis when He spoke the words that brought the world into existence. Whatever He spoke came to be. When He said ‘let there be light’, light came forth. We are no different. Our words shape our world. 

 

So, after three failed relationships, I had had enough. I had a serious talk with God as I did not want another relationship that ended in    failure. I decided that I would not just go with any guy who came along wanting a relationship. I wanted to marry someone who God had ordained for me to marry. That certainly would not come easy, given the natural desire to receive instant gratification. But I was willing and prepared to wait on God’s best for me.  It has been, and continues to be a challenging journey but I have learnt some valuable lessons along the way. By the grace of God I am still standing and will, with His help, continue to do so. I trust in God’s perfect plan for my life and believe that at the right time He will bring the right person into my life. His ways and thoughts are higher than mine (Isaiah 55:8-9).  

 

A woman who has passed the age of thirty without being married or having children is seen as an oddity. In some segments of the Jamaican culture, such a woman is considered to be a mule, someone worthless, someone who has failed. Such a woman is often pitied and ridiculed by other women who have ‘achieved’ the status of motherhood. Societal pressure often causes some women to succumb to the desire to bear children even though they do not have the support system in place which creates a conducive atmosphere for childbearing and childrearing. These factors are considered secondary and often they are NOT prepared for the enormous responsibilities of parenthood. In their eyes, ‘getting a youth’ is the ultimate prize, one that is to be attained at all costs. 

 

I have had my fair share of ridicule and rejection because of my stance of husband first, children after. I remember talking to a young man from the community on one of my frequent visits home. He made the usual enquiry ‘yuh nuh have no kids yet?’ to which I responded in the negative. At my response, he turned his face away and smiled, but not before I saw the mocking smirk in his eyes. In another instance I was approached by a coworker - who claimed to be a Christian - who    suggested that since I was getting old, I should consider having a child out of wedlock and then ask God to forgive me. I flatly rejected that suggestion. I remained undaunted. I decided that I would stand for what I believed in and nothing would make me change my mind, as being single and childless was certainly not the worse thing that could happen to me. I would not be forced into making a decision to have a child in order to prove anything to anyone.

  

I decided to take the road less travelled and have realized that the price to pay is not an easy one. There have been many times when my faith has wavered and I doubted that God would come through for me in this area of my life. My pastor has often said that the thing that you want the most is the thing you wait the longest for. You pray and pray and don’t see the answer. But God has a purpose in the wait. He is building character and patience in us. As we wait upon Him He renews our strength, allowing us to run and not become weary and to walk and not faint (Isaiah 40:31). 

  

After waiting for many years, I began to get frustrated. I felt that I had waited long enough and that God should have come through for me already. Most of my former classmates from primary school and high school were now parents or grandparents and yet, here I was, with not even  one  foot  on  the  ladder  towards  marriage  and  parenthood.  I  sometimes felt like a failure. Though I had achieved much in other  areas of my life, that area remained stubborn and would not budge. The desire to be married became almost an obsession. I was so focused on it that at times I could think of nothing else. I was consumed with the thought of getting married and it had become an idol in my life.  I had to lay it down and repent, asking God to forgive me and let His will for my life be done. And I had to do so a number of times as ever so often, the frustration and anxiety got the better of me. 

 

Even in my frustration, I kept on serving and honouring God. Along the way he would always send words of encouragement which   refreshed my weary spirit and helped me to carry on. To those looking on, everything seemed ok, but inside I was questioning God and asking why I had to wait so long. It seemed like everyone else was getting married except me. I wondered what cardinal sin I had committed why I was caught in this trap.

 

These were the thoughts in my heart as I headed to Swallowfield Chapel for training one Saturday morning in 2018. I had volunteered to be a counsellor at Fun in the Son, a Christian outreach event, and was required to spend a day in training. I found it strange, but interesting, that there was a scheduled message toward the end of the training    session. As I listened to the speaker, I was convicted. The title of the message was ‘Change your Focus’ and I knew that was God’s word for me in my current situation. I was overly focused on the issue at hand instead of fixing my eyes on Him. I was encouraged and challenged to focus less on my situation and more on God, allowing Him to work things out in His time and in His way. As the Word says, he makes all

things beautiful in His time (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

 

The journey continues. I decided to adopt a new approach. Even though I still had the desire for marriage, I realized that I could not  allow it to become an idol in my life. There was so much more to life than marriage and so I decided to do things differently. Rather than just praying and hoping, I decided to prepare myself even as I served.  Preparation for any new phase of life is key and so I decided that part of my duty while waiting for marriage was to prepare myself. It is   indeed sad that many persons who get married make great preparation for the wedding ceremony but give little or no thought to preparing for marriage. I did not want to fall into that trap and so I did all I could to get myself prepared. I read books and articles, watched videos,        attended marriage and relationship seminars and listened to marriage and family programs on Christian radio. My eyes were opened to new    information and I was eager to learn all that I could.

 

In 2021, I began to follow a Christian marriage and relationship expert on Youtube. Her content included prayers and teaching sessions and question and answer sessions specifically geared for single women. I became a consistent follower and eventually in 2022 participated in her 6-month marriage mentorship programme online. It was an eyeopener. For the first time in my life I was being taught about God’s plan and intention for marriage and the necessity to understand and be aligned      with God’s plan for marriage. It also looked at the role of the woman how she fits into God’s plan of being a suitable helper to her husband and thus solving the problem of him being alone. Together, the man and woman, who have been put together by God will do great things in the earth as they together seek to fulfil the dominion mandate given by God. The teaching was life changing and provided a wealth of new  information for which I am truly grateful. I continue to pray for my future husband and my future marriage in obedience to the Word of God in Proverbs 3:5-6 which says, ‘Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He will direct thy path’.

 

At the time of writing, my prayer for a spouse has still not been       answered, but I am trusting God that He will come through for me as he cannot lie. (Numbers 23:19). I am learning to trust Him and wait patiently for Him. I know that my character and patience are being   developed.  It is said that God doesn’t always calm the storm; He sometimes calms His child. I can testify to that. 

 

I am still living single but my attitude has changed and I know that God is working on me. He is not through with me yet.  In January of 2021, I had a dream in which my car was at the garage. At the end of the process the car looked spanking brand new. I could not believe my eyes. I woke up from the dream with a knowing in my spirit that God was sending me an important message. He was working on me and preparing me for ministry.  To God be the glory! Great things He has done and will continue to do.

 

One of the major lessons that I have learnt along this journey is that I should not compare myself to anyone else. I am a unique individual and God has a distinct plan for me. I have my own race to run and therefore I must focus on my lane and not waste time and energy   looking at another. His plan for me is different from the plans for    others and so it is quite silly to compare myself to others. We all have different paths in life and we progress at different speeds. So, the fact that my sisters got married early has nothing to do with me. God has a different plan for me and by His grace I will carry it out. I am now at a place of peace and rest in God. I know that God is in control and that in His time, He will do it and it will be worth the wait. It is better to marry late than to marry wrong. R. C. Blakes, in his video ‘How to  Attract your Soulmate’, makes a profound statement that ‘wives wait; girlfriends go for anything’. I see myself as a wife, so I am willing to wait for God’s best instead of settling for less than I deserve. 

 

God has sharpened my discernment and has helped me to hear His voice more clearly as I rely on His guidance in this area of my life. He has swiftly exposed the wolves in sheep’s clothing that have come my way lately and has saved me from making mistakes which would have proved quite costly in the long run. I will briefly share one particular instance with you.

 

In March 2022, I met a young man who was quite charming, fitting the classic ‘tall, dark and handsome’ description.  Let’s call him Don. He was a smooth talker with an oily tongue, and he was the type who could sell ice to an Eskimo. We soon developed a friendship and could talk for hours about any and everything. He told me that he was also a Christian and even told me the name of the church he ‘supposedly’  attended. Within a few months he began to express and interest in us having more than a friendship. I was a bit wary, because though he professed Christianity, I was not seeing the godly fruit being manifested in his life. I had also seen some posts on his social media pages that left me uncomfortable. When I questioned him about it, he claimed that they were from his past and that he was now giving his relationship with God priority and giving it the full hundred (100%).

 

I was not convinced, but not wanting to judge him, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I committed the matter to prayer and sought the help of friends and a few family members in praying about the situation. I prayed for God to reveal the heart of this man and He certainly did. One of the clearest signs yet was the fact that each time I visualized him, he had two faces. Will the real Don stand up? I grew increasingly uncomfortable as I took this to mean that he was literally being ‘two-faced’ or deceptive. 

 

I stepped up my prayers and within two months, I had two unexpected telephone conversations with two different persons who knew him well, revealing very troubling information about him, and confirming what I had felt in my spirit. Around the same time, I watched two YouTube videos and the same passage John 4:18, where Jesus told the woman at the well that that the man she was with was not her husband. The scripture jumped out at me and I knew without a shadow of a doubt that God was giving me the answer I was seeking. I knew this man was not my husband. He was not sent by God. He was a counterfeit sent by the enemy. I wasted no time in sending him on his merry way. I had no time to waste. God had come through for me once again. To Him be all the glory and honour. He never fails!

 

Being single is not an easy road but by the grace of God you can do it. According to Matthew 6:33, Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you’.  I encourage you to find your place in the Kingdom and serve. Find your purpose and fulfil it so that your mind can be fully occupied, leaving less time for boredom and distraction. Do not be anxious. Be at rest and allow God to work as hard as it is.  Do not take matters into your hands,    especially when you get frustrated. Rash and hasty decisions made from a place of desperation will lead to frustration and regret in the long run. Allow Him to write your love story. Step back and allow Him to make the right choice for you in His perfect timing.  Be guided by 1 Samuel 16: 7 which says, ‘Man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart’. Do not be deceived.  Learn to rest in God’s unchanging and unconditional love. Seek to bask in His love first.  


Remember that the Word says ‘For your Maker is your husband - the LORD Almighty is his name - the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth’ (Isaiah 54:5). Encourage yourself in the Lord as David did. Know that you are not defined by your marital status. You have worth whether single or married. Your worth is in who God says you are and He says you are blessed and highly favoured. He says that you are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).

 

Singleness is a blessing. Enjoy your time of singleness and see it as a blessing instead of a curse. As a single person, your time is your own and you have control over it, thus determining how you spend it. It is the time to build a firm and solid foundation for marriage by dedicating yourself fully to God, developing intimacy with Him and serving Him by serving others. 

 

In this season, maximize the use of your time by doing your part in building the Kingdom of God. Marriage brings additional responsibilities that detract from your time, making your time divided. According to 1 Corinthians 7:34, ‘the single woman is more concerned about the things of the Lord, but the married woman is concerned about pleasing her husband.  It is therefore imperative to use your  season of singleness wisely as the time you have lost can never be regained.  It is the time to find and know yourself.  When you find yourself, you make yourself a good thing and put yourself in a position to be found by someone who, in addition to finding you, will receive favour from the Lord (Proverbs 18:22). Find you!




 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words of Inspiration - Gratitude Is a Must!

Devotional - Knowing God's Voice

Devotional - Walking in Integrity

Bible Verse For Today